Thursday, July 2, 2009

Spanish Immersion???







So, do I think my Spanish has improved now that I have returned from Costa Rica? I would say that my listening and reading comprehension has greatly improved! I had to listen a lot and closely to understand what was being said. I was around very gracious people who were patient and helpful. I could ask them to repeat it, or tell me another way so that I could understand. In general, I would say that my listening and reading comprehension is about 70%. My speaking isn't as far as I would like it to be, but people were able to understand me, and we were able to communicate. You all know that I am very social so communication was important for me. I knew I was doing better when I could use my cynicism in Spanish!






Also, all the big news here in the states was delivered to me in Spanish. All the information I had about Micheal Jackson, especially, was only in Spanish. This, unfortunately, was a great reading comprehension tool for me. Since I wanted to know everything that was going on with this situation particularly, I read the paper every day. It was also interesting to read the other news in Costa Rica to learn about the country and the culture.






This picture, unwillingly taken, is proof that I studied at least once! Also, the news about Micheal Jackson....en espanol!

2 comments:

  1. Even in a little tiny town up in the highlands of Nicaragua was full of the news of Michael's death, and Sotomayor's confirmation hearings, and all sorts of US sports news -- my host family, where the wife earns about $5 a month, has cable TV, and CNN International in Spanish. Small world!

    Love your blog, Donita!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today there are 21 nations that speak Spanish as their primary language.According to the changing scenerio now-a-days Spanish immersion is growing popularly in number of countries due to logistical, economic and touristic interest towards many nations which chiefly use Spanish as their primary language. Again to be a real traveller we should know some/few words of foreign language.I think if we ask them questions in their local language they would surely appreciate our effort and also try to find someone who could understand us as well as may prove to be helpful for us.

    ReplyDelete